Here are some tips for homeowners to avoid pest infestations. More than a nuisance you need to protect your family from disease from ants or roaches as well as protecting your property from wood and foundation damage from ants and termites.
Take these steps now and keep your home pest-free.
Inside Your Home
- • Starve them out — Keep dried food such as flour and sugar in plastic containers with lids instead of their original packaging. Empty trash often and keep a tight lid on the trash can. Clean up spills immediately.
- • Dry them out —fix leaky faucets, radiators, dishwashers, and washing machines immediately and empty flower pots and plant stands of excess water. Often pests such as cock roaches need water to survive so shut off their supply.
- • Keep them out —. Repair holes in door and window screens, seal cracks and openings along baseboards, behind sinks, and around pipes and windows.
Outside Your Home
Pests enter your home from the outside, so you will also need to prepare the exterior of your house to keep pests out.
Look for cracks and holes on the outside of your home and seal them up. Be sure to include points where utility lines enter the house. Also address damage to the basement foundation and windows.
- • Clean up your landscaping. Raking the mulch away from the base of your home will help keep it dry to allow for adequate drainage. Trim back tree branches and bushes so they do not make contact with the house. Remove tree stumps from your yard.
- • Keep firewood piles stacked outside of your home neat, away from the house and off the ground.
- • It is also important to make sure basements and attics are well ventilated and dry.
- • Look for any rotted or decaying shingles on your roof
- • While on your roof also check that your gutters are free of debris.
These simple steps now can save you a lot of headache and money down the road from these unwanted visitors.