Maintaining the Carpets in your Home.

It’s that time of year when we’re looking at our floors and wondering how we can get them to sparkle again. Maintaining and keeping a clean carpet is more than just healthy, as it can also help to prolong the life of the carpet. Here are a few tips to get — and keep — your carpets looking new again.

Tip 1
The first step to keeping your carpet looking like new is to deep clean it as often as needed – which is usually every six months. Two options are to have it cleaned by a professional carpet cleaning company or to invest in a good deep-cleaning machine and do it yourself.

Tip 2
Keep an eye out for spills and take care of them quickly; don’t let them set. Before using harsh chemicals on spills, try using water first. If that doesn’t work, try a mixture of water and vinegar or non- toxic cleaning products. We like a product called Sol-u-Mel made by a company called Melaleuca. There are a variety of products on the market, so it is best to match the product with the type of spill/stain you have. Be sure to spot test the cleaner on the carpet first.

Tip 3
A clean carpet is also one that has been maintained by regular vacuuming so that dirt, grime, and other debris doesn’t get grounded into the fibers of the carpet – making it look worn and dirty. One trick when vacuuming is to go over the floor in several directions to allow the vacuum time to pick up all it can. High-quality vacuums, like those manufactured by Dyson®, are the best choice, as they suck up the most debris.

Around 80 percent of the soils that enter a home are dry (the remaining 20 percent are greases, oils, and starches). The dry soil types are easily removed by vacuuming. Done on a daily basis, vacuuming will help to minimize damage to the carpet.

A clean carpet will add value to the home if it is maintained well. It will also help to keep the home free from odors and make a comfortable living area for your friends and your family.